This low-carb twist on the original stuffed mushroom is a game-changer!
Make this wildly delicious sausage, cauliflower rice, and cheese-stuffed mushroom recipe as an appetizer for your next party.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here.
How To Make Stuffed Mushrooms
To make stuffed mushrooms, you create a stuffing using the ingredients of your choice, stuff the mushrooms with the filling, then bake them until they are tender.
*Continue reading to the end of this post for the printable recipe card with full instructions and ingredients.
First, choose the proper mushroom. There is a wide variety of mushrooms to choose from: white button mushrooms, cremini mushrooms, and baby portobello to name a few.
For this recipe, I use baby portobello mushrooms. The firm texture and size of baby portobello mushrooms make them easy to stuff.
Be sure to wash and rinse all mushrooms thoroughly. Remove all stems from the mushroom caps. Finely dice the mushroom stems into small pieces. You’ll add them to the stuffing for the mushroom caps.
Next, thoroughly prepare and cook the stuffing for your mushrooms. In a skillet, season and sauté your meat. I use ground pork for this recipe.
Once the pork is cooked, add the riced cauliflower and diced mushroom stems to the skillet.
Sauté until riced cauliflower is heated through and the mushroom stems are tender.
Finally, in a mixing bowl, add your cooked ground pork, riced cauliflower, and mushroom stems.
To that mixture, add the softened cream cheese and stir until well combined. Add fresh herbs like sage and thyme to give your stuffed mushroom a fresh pop of flavor.
RELATED: BUFFALO CHICKEN MEATBALLS RECIPE
Now, for the fun part, fill mushroom caps with the prepared stuffing and set them into a large cast-iron skillet. Top the mushrooms with your favorite cheese.
My favorites for this recipe are gouda and parmesan cheese. Bake until cheese is golden brown and melted.
- 1 lb ground pork or sausage of your choice
- 1 cup riced cauliflower
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 2 lb baby portobello mushrooms
- sage and thyme to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup shredded gouda and parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 °.
- Wash mushrooms thoroughly.
- Remove stems from mushrooms. Finely dice stems and set aside for later use.
- Season ground sausage. In a skillet, saute ground sausage until fully cooked.
- To the skillet add riced cauliflower and diced mushroom stems. Saute until riced cauliflower is heated through and mushroom stems are tender.
- Transfer the sausage, riced cauliflower, and diced mushroom stems to a mixing bowl. Add cream cheese and mix until well combined.
- Place mushroom caps onto a baking sheet or oven-safe skillet. Use a spoon to fill each mushroom with the stuffing.
- Top with shredded gouda and parmesan cheese or cheese of your choice.
- Bake in the preheated oven until cheese is golden brown and mushrooms are tender.
- Allow cooling for 15 minutes before serving. Enjoy!