Make simple homemade biscuits in a flash with this easy-to-follow recipe.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here.
Buttery, fluffy, and divine! This simple, yet delicious biscuit recipe is sure to be a hit at your next family dinner. Best of all, this recipe does not require the tedious task of cutting butter or shortening into the flour.
There is no need to be intimidated about making biscuits from scratch. If you can stir, you can make these biscuits.
With only a handful of ingredients, you will make the best biscuits that you’ve ever tasted.
Related: CHEESY PICKLED JALAPEÑO CORNBREAD
I’ve also included plenty of tips (and a short VIDEO!) to make sure that your biscuits turn out perfect every time.
Added Bonus: Because this recipe is so simple, your little ones can join in on the biscuit making fun!
Why Make Homemade Biscuits
Three reasons why I’m super excited to share this simple homemade biscuit recipe with you today:
One: I absolutely LOVE biscuits! Any chance I have to bite into a warm, buttery, fluffy piece of golden goodness I’m going to take. Period!
Two: These biscuits are super simple and easy to make. Everyone buys the canned biscuits without realizing how simple it truly is to make them using the ingredients that they already have in their pantry.
After you taste these biscuits you will never want those cardboard tasting biscuits again.
Three: Anytime I can enjoy the company of my children in the kitchen with me is a treat. I love it when the kids have the opportunity to learn and explore.
Baking with my children gives me the opportunity to introduce new concepts to them. It helps that children learn more when there is a prize at the end of the tunnel… like warm and yummy biscuits.
Now back to the reason why we are all here…. Biscuits!!!
Super simple homemade biscuits call for only five ingredients:
all-purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, heavy cream.
And of course, melted butter is an optional topping for once they’re finished baking. Everything tastes better with butter.
I have tons of tips to make this easy recipe even easier. Don’t be alarmed by all the tips I have below.
The steps in making these biscuits are as simple as 1, 2, 3, but the technique is the most important thing in baking. I want to provide you with the techniques and tricks that took me multiple tries to produce.
The tips are simple but super important, and while experienced bakers may already know these tricks I would like to make sure that everyone is on an even playing field.
Tips for making Simple Homemade Biscuits
- These Simple Homemade Biscuits start with super cold ingredients. When making these biscuits I typically place my heavy whipping cream in the freezer for about 15 minutes before incorporating it into the other ingredients.
- Do not mistake the dough for a punching bag. For super light and fluffy biscuits, you must not overwork the dough. Never use an electric mixer for making biscuits.
- When folding or laminating your dough, never fold more than 3 times in between cutting out your biscuits.
- NEVER use a rolling pin! Gently use your hands and fingers to flatten this simple homemade biscuit dough and shape it into a rectangle before cutting out your biscuits.
- If the dough is still sticky don’t be afraid to add more flour to your working space.
- Skip the round biscuit cutter and cut your dough into squares to help prevent overworking your dough.
- Have Fun!!!!!!
If you look closely at this pre-cooked biscuit below you will see pockets of air. Those pockets of air are what help create such a light and fluffy biscuit.
Ps. If you happen to prefer a denser biscuit don’t laminate your dough more than 3 times.
Simple Homemade Biscuits Using Heavy Whipping Cream
When baking there is one ingredient that is always essential. That ingredient is FAT.
I’ve heard of bakers using everything from bacon grease to lard for cooking biscuits. The go-to fat in these simple homemade cream biscuits happens to be Heavy Whipping Cream.
The reason I prefer Heavy Whipping Cream should be obvious by now…. It’s Easy to Use!
There is no cutting or grating butter into this recipe, simply pour in the recommended amount of heavy whipping cream and start mixing.
Whether you enjoy your biscuits slathered in honey, maple syrup, or with a spread of your favorite jam, enjoy what you have created.
- 4 cups of flour
- 6 tsp sugar
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a clean dry bowl, add flour, salt, sugar, and baking powder. Wisk until all ingredients are well combined.
- Add heavy whipping cream in with dry ingredients.
- Mix just until ingredients are combined and dough forms.
- Transfer dough from the bowl to a well-floured work surface. Gently press it into a rectangle (about 1/2 inch thick.
- Lift up ends of dough and fold the dough into thirds. Press dough again into a thick rectangle.
- Use a biscuit cutter (the rim of a glass cup also works) to cut rounds from the dough or use a knife to slice the dough into strips then squares.
- Arrange biscuits on a prepared baking sheet. Brush the top of each biscuit generously with melted butter
- Bake in the preheated oven until golden brown.
- Remove the biscuits from the oven and brush the tops with butter. Let cool slightly before serving.