I love rice! Sometimes I crave restaurant-style Mexican rice, but being a homebody, I’d much prefer to cook the rice myself in my own kitchen.
If you’re anything like me, you’ve wanted to make Mexican rice at home but felt it was too complex to replicate the taste. I’m here to tell you that making restaurant-style Mexican rice is easier than you think!
Today I’m sharing my recipe for perfect Mexican rice. Continue through this post for my tips on making Mexican rice that is fluffy and never gummy.
Best of all, you do not need any special equipment or secret ingredients; you only need the right combination of rice, spices, and peppers – voilà!
Spanish Rice Ingredients
This Mexican rice is fluffy, flavorful, and perfectly seasoned. The key to making this delicious rice starts with having the right ingredients on hand.
I like to cook with the bare basics. I keep staple spices in my pantry and avoid artificial and overly processed ingredients. While many recipes for Mexican rice call for a bouillon cube, this recipe omits it completely, and trust me; it is not missed.
The main ingredients in this rice are long-grain white rice, chicken broth, tomato sauce, cumin, salt, and garlic powder.
Related: How to Make a Delicious Greek Salad
How to Make Mexican Rice
- Heat oil in a skillet or saucepan over medium heat.
- Add rice and toast until golden, stirring continuously for about 3 minutes.
- Add salt, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, basil, and oregano. Stir.
- Stir in the tomato sauce. Pour in the broth and bring to a low simmer.
- Add the bell peppers and cover with a lid. Cook on low for 15-20 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed. *Do not remove the pot lid while the rice is still simmering.
- Remove the pot from the heat and gently fluff the rice with a fork.
- 2 tbs oil
- 3/4 cup rice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- pinch of oregano
- pinch of basil
- 1/4 cup green pepper, diced
- 1/3 cup tomato sauce
- 2 1/4 cup broth
Heat oil in a skillet or saucepan over medium heat.
Add rice and toast until golden, stirring continuously, for about 3 minutes.
Add salt, cumin, garlic powder, basil, and oregano and stir.
Stir in the tomato sauce. Pour in broth and bring to a low simmer.
Add the bell peppers and cover with a lid. Cook on low for 15-20 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed. *Do not remove the pot lid while the rice is still simmering.
Remove the pot from the heat and gently fluff the rice with a fork.
This simple yet delicious recipe can be enjoyed as a side dish, with tacos, or with proteins like chicken or shrimp.